List and describe the federal laws and regulations governing patient privacy and security.
- Identify ways to create reports from using big data as well as the various indices that can be queried for the purpose of decision making.
- Discuss meaningful use and HITEC and its impact on the development of the electronic health record.
Go to the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) and the Health Level Seven® International (HL7) websites and prepare a 3–5 page executive summary outlining the current activities of these organizations relating to the implementation of the EHR. Prepare the executive summary as if you were presenting it to the next monthly HIM department meeting at your hospital. Be sure to include information about the role of privacy, protection of patient information, and regulations governing the collection and storage of data. Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Pocket Guide to APA Style to ensure in-text citations and reference list are correct.
- Please keep in mind that Executive summaries are written literally for an executive who most likely DOES NOT have the time to read the original.
- Executive summaries make a recommendation.
- Accuracy is essential because decisions will be made based on your summary by people who have not read the original.
- Executive summaries frequently summarize more than one document.
Submitting Your Assignment
Put your written assignments in a Word document and save it in a location and with a name you will remember, using the following naming convention: username-assignment-unit#.docx.
National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) https://www.healthit.gov/
Health Level Seven® International (HL7). http://www.hl7.org/