Topic: Ethics and Compliance 2
find a current Australian newspaper item of interest for Standards, Ethics and Compliance, post the link and write a paragraph response of how the news article relates to the aims of the topic.
Essential Topic Information
Topic Syllabus 1. Role and nature of Standards, Regulation and Legislation. AS, ISO, ANSI and other standards.
2. Standards Australia. Duty of Care. Penalties and consequences for non-adherence.
3. The standard spectrum – Non-regulatory solutions, self-regulation, quasi-regulation,
4. co-regulation and legislation
5. Ethics and ethical approval processes. Research ethics
6. Indigenous issues in engineering and scientific investigation
7. Overview of Intellectual property, copyright, patents and digital rights
8. Environmental legislation and compliance. Cultural context of environmental compliance.
9. Certification of compliance. Enforcement. The role of Governance in effective compliance
10. Directions in Standards, Ethics and Compliance
11. Case Studies
Educational Aims This topic aims to give students an ability to operate within a cultural content that includes the need to understand and adhere to standards, regulation, legislation and ethical and social norms.
Expected Learning Outcomes At the completion of this topic, students are expected to be able to:
1. Understand the role and nature of standards, regulation and legislation as they relate to the scope, principles, norms, accountabilities and bounds of contemporary engineering practice
2. Understand the need to operate within ethical and regulatory boundaries and understand how to achieve this
3. Understand the Indigenous issues inherent in engineering and scientific investigation
4. To have further developed their research, oral and written communication skills and their ability to work as part of a team